Costs and Financial Aid
Questions about tuition and fees? Click the button below to access cost of attendance information.
Paying For Graduate School
Teaching and Research Assistantships
Teaching Assistantships (TA) and Research Assistantships (RA) contracts typically cover one academic year and most are awarded in the Fall.
Research Assistantships听allow you an opportunity to do research supported by funds from sponsored projects. The terms of these appointments and the qualifications for them depend on the sponsoring agency and the faculty member.
Teaching Assistantships听may be awarded to you to assist in the education of undergraduate students by conducting laboratories and assisting professors. The departments have a limited number of TAs to award: these are normally reserved for full-time degree students who have demonstrated academic excellence. It is a school policy that students with TAs do not have full responsibility for teaching courses.
Graduate Assistantships听are awarded to supplement TAs and RAs to pay for your student fees, health insurance, etc. You may also be selected to receive a tuition award through this assistantship.
Additional information can be found on Assistantship Policies page
Tuition Payment Options
Mines offers various tuition payment options. See听 for more details.听
You may be eligible for financial aid as a graduate student. Loans are available for qualified U.S. domestic graduate students. You can find additional information on the financial aid process here:听.
An updated 听() must be submitted each year for assistance from our Financial Aid Office.
Below are links to financial aid search engines. The Graduate Office does not endorse any particular service. We encourage the use of any听free听service available for finding scholarships.
- This free page gives you links to search engines, information on loans, special opportunities for specific types of students, and testing information.
- FastWEB is a database of private sector scholarships, fellowships, grants, and loans.
- International Education Financial Aid website. Aids international students in finding funding for study.
- The Graduate Program Guide for students created by students.
- A free search engine of reputable private scholarships available to students.
- Institute for Broadening Participation - Pathways to Science
Other Graduate Fellowships
Outside Graduate Fellowships
Western Regional Graduate Program
, promotes the sharing of higher education resources among the participating western states. Here at Mines, residents of the WICHE member states, listed below, who are enrolled in qualifying graduate programs may be eligible for discounted-rate tuition classification.
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
You may also qualify if you are from the following U.S. Territory/Commonwealth:
- Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)
- Federal States of Micronesia (FSM)
- Republic of the Marshall Islands
- You must be a legal resident of one of the participating WICHE-approved states (a list of states is mentioned above). This is determined from the tuition classification form that you fill out upon acceptance.
- You must reside in the WICHE-approved state for at least nine consecutive months prior to the beginning of the first academic term of WRGP acceptance.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident.
- The WRGP tuition benefit must be awarded at the time of admission and will be noted in your Applicant Portal, once approved. It cannot be converted once the first day of your first semester starts as a new graduate student.
- Mines Combined students will qualify for the WRGP 150% tuition rate once their Bachelor's Degree is awarded and they begin their first semester as a Graduate Student. Undergraduates students, do not qualify for the WRGP tuition rate.
- You will need to provide:
- Proof of a permanent address in the WICHE state.
- Payment of state income tax on wages earned in the WICHE state and:
- Vehicle registration
- Driver鈥檚 license
- State income tax return
- Utility bill dated nine months ago proof of eligibility can be demonstrated by submitting three of the following items:
Future students can upload the above materials within the online application or email to email@example.com.